Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Yodi. Oh Yodi!

I found this little photo album, it is full of pictures from 5th & 6th grade, plus a few from 7th. The last page hold newspaper clippings of horoscopes, mine & my BFF, Jodi. Its amazing to consider that Jodi and I have been close since 1987, or 24 years ago. We were locker neighbors at the beginning of 7th grade, and then became enemies, then over a Spring Break became inseparable and of course locker partners.

The one falling out came from when she what was best for her, an education and the escape of Loveland. I hated her for it, for all her accomplishments, made me feel bad. I was jealous, envious and spiteful. We went once for about 3 years without speaking.

When I finally made my way to San Diego, and tracked her down to her last known employer, I was told she was in Spain, and I waited months for her return. One night, the phone rang, and we met again. BFF's again. I no longer envy her accomplishments, I admire her.

Jodi graduated SDSU with a degree in Latin Studies and took that and began to travel and teach. She has traveled, learned and taught from Malaga to Cadiz, Lisbon to Bardo, and of course Mazatlan to Brasil. She just added Italian to hre list of languages and loves. Her loves are always a story told best over cocktails, and her descriptions of her loves are always spot on when they materialize.

When I reread the horoscope from my newspaper cut out, it is even more pertinent now, then it was in the late 80's.

Monday July 13th :
Born on this date, you are a deep-feeling individual with a generous and caring nature. You often think more of others than you do of yourself, and you are always the first to lend a hand to one in need. You have a sensitive nature and can be quite timid - even shy and retiring. You enjoy spending time alone, or with a few close friends, but you try as often as possible to avoid large groups. You do not enjoy being in the spotlight; you prefer involvement behind the scenes.

You have a way with words, and you know how to tell a good joke. Indeed, you are often considered the life of the party - despite your reluctance to take part at all. you will likely remain quite close to your family throughout your lifetime - despite some troubles during your childhood.


The part about her family is spot on as well, they have grown closer over the years after her youth spent on shaky ground.

On the back of this 7th grade picture she has written to me, "Amber, Thank you for being my friend or should I say best friend. I love you, you're great, you buttsuck you. BFF, Luv ya, Jodi" Yes, we called each other buttsucks.. it was the late 80s. What can I say?

No comments: