Friday, May 13, 2011

4th Grade ~ The Last Good Year

I had gone to the same elementary school, I had cousins at the school. It seemed to me there was no "caste system" and everyone was friends, and I was part of that. In 5th grade, my family was moved to the other part of town, where I was introduced to the cliques and guess jeans. I had no Esprit bag, and felt ostracized. The kids at the new school, Monroe seemed dirt poor like me with our apartment living or mega rich and had houses on the lake. When I look at this picture of my fourth grade class, memories flood in.
I'll start from the top and go across. Jeremy Geddes I don't really remember, but next to him was Brian Snell. He had a twin sister named Elisa and they lived across the street from my cousins on 10th street. There were peacocks that ran wild in their yard.
Next to him was Gary Longmore. Gary's stepdad shot and killed Gary, his older brother and their mother that year. I remember the day distinctly. It still brings a tear to my eye. They lived on 1st street, I think of him when I drive past the house when I am back in Loveland.

Sal was quiet. Mark Cambell, I wonder what ever became of that guy. He had a really great sense of humor. Ross was serious, he is prolly a businessman now and doing well. Kristen Caldwell was my BFF. I was at her house alot, she lived near the school. I remember playing alot of barbies and I remember she had strawberry shortcake dolls, and to this day, when I smell any Strawberry Shortcake doll, I think of her house.

Next row, Gary Hill, he was the smart ass-kissy kid. Carey Thrap and I did alot of roller skating, I was at her house the fist time I saw Kajagoogoo's Too Shy video. She has cable. :) Stacy Anderson's family seems to have the most money but she invited me to my first sleepover, I drove by her house in February and thought about that sleepover. My mom bought me kid sleeping bag just for the occassion and we read Alvin Schwartz' Scary Storie to Tell in the Dark. Jason VanDyke was the cutest boy in class, IMHO. Mary Shafer and Chelly McBroom were BFF's. There are two girls in Shea's class that remind me of them, just two peas in a pod. Josh Smith was cool.

Bottom Row, Kevin Riley came from a big poor family, with older brothers who smoked and wore heavy metal shirts. That was my 4th grade impression, I remember referring to them as "The Rileys".. Victor Monroe was the gross kid and remember when I had to kneel next to him, and not beeing to happy about it. And would you check out that fancy get up I got on! I remember that friggin outfit, I cannot believe Grandma Jenkins thought it was cute. The skirt didn't twirl like a real pleated skirt should. Oh, I look like a goof! Kendra Kubbe was new and a little awkward, there is a girl in Shea's class that rememinds me of her too. I often remind Shea to be extra nice to the new kids, and perhaps when she is new, someone will be nice to her.

Shea asked me a few days ago, who my favorite teacher was and with no hesitation, it was Mrs. Freeman. It was a good year for me. I think it had alot to do with my stepdad being in jail, and I was able to spend more time with alone with my mom. She actually gave me spelling tests and did flash cards with me, and it paid off. I learned alot that year, I was very proud of my spelling tests, and I also learned the state capitals that year, and when to use "a" vs "an" and all that.

Mom and I watched alot of Dynasty and that year the "V" serious was on. It was the last year that I lived in a trailer park.
It was the last year I felt secure. The years to come brought moving, it brought police raids, it brought a haunted house, and
it brought Monroe Elementary.

Amazing what I can recall at times.

No comments: