Thursday, October 20, 2011

Meetings, Committees, Sub-Commitees, Advisory Commitees, Oh Boy

Ironically, yesterday I ran an errand for a temp agency. It was going to a meeting at the Department of Education to give tutoring companies the 411 on tutoring high school students who are at risk, and the city will pay them for it.

What got me thinking however, was the lady who was leading the meeting explained the chain of command all their papers had to go through to reach the finish line.

I am now sitting on 3 committees for Dana Middle, the Association Board, the DAC and the SSC. Was it always like this? Were there always an ass-ton of middle people?
I have never worked in a big corporation, Office Space style. The craziest was at my last j.o.b. years ago, I'd be working a Sunday with me and 3 dudes, all which were "middle management" or shift leaders, as they were called. And I always thought it was funny, 3 managers and me. Talk about a buzz-kill.... :)

How the hell does sh*t get done when 3/4 of the team are middle management..

Anywhoo. Went on an interview today, for a sportfishing boat & marina management team. Oh, man, that would not only be up my alley, but just down my street too!
With that.. how the heck are you suppose to answer questions like 'how do you deal with stress?'.. Um.. I freak out, mute the phone and hurl insults at whoever is on the phone.. aka guys I use to work with. Man, would I love some tips on how to answer that.. Also, 'how do you remember to do 5 different things?'...uh? I take notes?... Figures, the day after I purchase my first business suit to wear to interviews, I am asked how I feel about standing in fish guts taking notes of weights.. Great sir! Love it, the smell of fish? Welp, there isn't a Tunaville sticker on my car for nothing... :)

No comments: