Monday, October 24, 2011

Ghosts of Mississippi & Neighbors

Shea just finished her biography on Martin Luther King Jr. and at the same time, had her test on state capitals of the South. Hence, our topic of conversation this past few weeks. When she is having to memorize something as trivial to her as state capitals of the south, I try to make it less trivial. I only say trivial, because to a 10 year old who has never been East of Harlan, Iowa, she does have any sense of the size of our country, let alone the importance of the south. As we discuss each capital, we read the history of it, and I try to elaborate on the importance and significance. We talk about people who are influential, music that came from there, or is about the place.
When she was trying to remember the difference between Raleigh & Columbia, I knew that she is keen on the differences of 1600 Spain vs England. She is hip to Queen Elizabeth vs. the Spanish Armada. I had her look at the map, and take note that England came from the North and Spain came over from the South. North Carolina's capital was named for Sir William Raleigh and South Carolina for Christopher Columbus. I think she could remember that.
A while back, my neighbor asked me, kind of out of the blue, if there was anything that she might do for us. An odd question, of sorts, but with all the great intentions. The lady who lives upstairs from me, is a single African American woman, who works for the government, at MCRD and attends The Rock. She invites us to that often. We were walking one day, and I made it clear that I had no intention of going to the Rock Church, and how in my soul, I was anti-mega church. However, I respected her religion and each to their own. etc. On the note, of her asking if there was anything she might do, I suggested that she take Shea out sometime, and talk to her about her culture.
I was very stoked she she came to our door yesterday, and invited us to the christening of the USNS Medgar Evans next month. We read about him this morning, and I am looking forward to going with our neighbor. :)

No comments: