Saturday, January 25, 2014

Week One - Derby

Finally, I got the balls to head down to the track and sign up to start training  to play Roller Derby.
Monday - I went to orientation and was met with the open arms I needed.  An invite to the tribe, the offer to come work my ass off and get support.  What a pleasant surprise.
Tuesday - Maxed out a credit card for gear.  Again, went to Sin City Skates, where Trish walked me thru each aspect of the gear, she had me try on all he skates, gave me tips and tricks, and again, that damn encouragement! The reinforcement of "you're never too old" and " a small step is better than no step." 
Wednesday - 1st night of DPV. Putting all that gear on is a bit intimidating and actually skating in it , yeah. well.. I was winded every other lap, my shin splints were from hell, she had us doing squats, push ups and sit up in gear, but I amazingly didn't put my ass on the floor and I left covered in sweat, full of adrenaline and feeling fucking terrific.
Friday - 2nd night of DPV. I am able to do 4 laps without getting winded.  Nova says we need to pull 27 in 5 minutes.  The T-Stop I can do, the Plow.. no so much.. :) But I a got on the banked track and did a few laps, and holy shit.  I got up early this morning, I am so sore, but I'm taking Shea down to encourage her to give it a shot too. :) She has been wearing my skates around the house, since Tuesday.



No comments: