Saturday, September 29, 2012

Fleet Week 2012

As you live here longer, you realize the one day a year you are allowed on Navy bases, as a civilian. At Sub-Base, its the Cabrillo Festival and for 32nd Street it is Fleet Week.  They invite you to tour the destroyers, hold the rocket launchers and do pull up with SEALS.  Its a trip.  I read in a book by William Cooper, and he noted that the reason we hire politicians is so we don't have to think about the day to day running the country.  Therefore the reason we have all this military is so we sleep safe at night.  I can argue my opinion of wars is places like the Middle East, my opinion of the super pro military gun show people, however, the seeing all these weapons in person and being on a base like this is like another world.  It is, a military world.  To stand in the shadow of those warships and look out to the Silver Strand and know damn well, that they can blow that small land bridge up to get these ships out to sea.  Makes a person feel small.
I also, hear the rumor that subs can go under Point Loma to get out to see in an emergency.  I have seen the Navy training seals in the bay.  Amazing what they can do.





No comments: